Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tropical Brainstorm

So yesterday we had a Tropical Storm warning from the remnants of Hurricane Bill, but he ended up circumventing us and heading toward Nova Scotia. I personally would have loved the rain and the cooling off it might have done. On the other hand, I realize I left my new umbrella in Chicago.

Also, yesterday was the first day of rehearsal. I spend 90 minutes before lunch giving math lessons to my cast and director. As theatre-folks, they have successfully avoided math for quite some time, and while I haven't had a formal math class in 11 years, I do get excited about it on a fairly regular basis.

Here are some of the mathematical concepts in the script which we covered yesterday:
  • Order of Operations
  • Prime Factorization
  • Lowest Common Multiple
  • Greatest Common Factor
  • Pascal's Triangle
  • Probability
  • The Fibonacci Sequence
  • The Golden Rectangle

1 comment:

  1. Please excuse my dear aunt sally.

    Also, love me some fibonacci! You should check out 'Math Curse.' a Great Children's book about math.

    also, if you or your cast are looking for some well-written books on math and such that are high on story and light on math theory, check out the author Simon Singh.

    Also, why are are you doing Math?

    ReplyDelete